The main objective of the study was to find out the mistakes done by the students in Factorization, give the remedial teaching and to compare the mean score of Pre remedial test or diagnostic test and post Remedial test or posttest in the unit of Factorization. In the present study researcher select the school with purposive sampling technique. On the basis of diagnosis test 35% or below scorer students were selected for the remedial teaching. Out of 60 students 32 students were included for remedial teaching in the unit of Factorization. Researcher formed a diagnosis test to find out the mistakes. Researcher measure the effectiveness of remedial teaching with the use of posttest which is formed on the basis of content of Factorization. In the present study researcher used Experimental Research method and “Single group Pretest-posttest Experimental Design.” as research design. Researcher used t-test for the comparison of pretest and posttest of the students. Students were done mistakes in various formula like, (x + a) (x + b) = x2 + (x + b) x + ab, (x+a) (x-a) = x2 – a2, (x ± a)2 = x2 ± 2xa + a2 and (a + b + c)2 = a2 +b2 + c2 +2ab +2bc + 2ca. As per result, Remedial teaching is effective for the better understanding the various formulas and concept clarity of Factorization in mathematics..
diagnostic test, Remedial test, Factorization, Sampling, Experimental research, etc.
1. Appleby, J., Lawson, D., Croft, T., Hawkes, T., Douglas, Q., & Sleeman, B. (2000). Diagnostic testing in theory and practice. Measuring the mathematics problem. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from http://www.engc.org.uk/ engcdocuments/ internet/Website/Measuring%20the% 20Mathematic%20 Problems.Pdf.
2. Carpenito-Moyet, L. J. (2007). Nursing diagnosis: Application to clinical practice (14th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott.
3. Elias, K. A. (1966). A study of common errors by the pupils of standard VI in Fraction. Unpublished M.Ed. Thesis, University of Kerala.
4. Ketterlin-Gelle, L. R., & Yovanoff, P. (2009). Diagnostic assessments in mathematics to support instructional decision making. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 14(16), 1-11.
5. Learning and Teaching Support Network (LTSN) Maths TEAM. (2003). Diagnostic Testing for Mathematics. LTSN Maths TEAM Project. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from http://www.ltsn.ac.uk/mathstream.
6. Sankara. (1957). An investigation of the difficulties of pupils of Class IX (of Bangalore city schools) in Factorization and the construction of a Diagnostic test for the same purpose. Unpublished M.Ed. Thesis, University of Delhi, New Delhi.
7. Sindhu, S. (1996). A diagnostic study of the difficulties fifth Standard pupils in learning Fraction. M. Phil. Thesis, University of Kerala.
8. Varghese, M. (1991). Identification of areas of difficulties in in learning
fractions for pupils of standard VI. Unpublished M.Ed. the University of Kerala. Thiruvananthapuram.
9. Zhao, Z. (2013). An overview of studies on diagnostic testing and its implication for the development of diagnostic speaking test. International Journal of English Linguistics, 3(1), 41-45. https://doi.org/ 10.5539/ijel. Vol.3, no.1, p.41.